Friday, January 15

Prestashop Update

FrustrationImage by music2work2 via Flickr
Well I have both some good news and some bad news to report about Prestashop. I unfortunately will not be using Prestashop. We got the whole storefront set up, I had all my pages complete. Uploaded all my products and categories using csv files. It looked good, I mean really good. Prestashop has a nice looking store template. Really professional and easy to set up. Some of the set up is not very intuitive but it takes a quick search on Google to find an answer to any how to questions.

So we have the site setup and ready to go. One last step till launch, shipping. That is where prestashop takes a nosedive for U.S. users. It is absolutely not UPS compatible and I have heard it is slightly USPS compatible but I didn't install that module. I tried installing a module that someone had created that was supposed to add UPS shipping to the shopping cart but it didn't work. My boyfriend is a computer programmer and he couldn't get it to work, so it really was a failure. I ship items that vary in weight greatly and I ship all over the world so I could not possibly make an accurate shipping chart myself. It would take me forever and everytime  prices changed I would have to redo the entire thing, no way.

With that being said I will be saying fairwell to my Prestashop store and trying another shopping cart software. Zen Cart is also a free software but unlike Prestashop it caters to users in the United States and has UPS and USPS shipping modules that are supposed to be functional. I will keep you updated on my findings.

I think I will try and do some eBay auctions in the near future just to make some money. I keep focusing on the longterm goal of having my own store but nothing can beat eBay for making some quick profits. I just wish the items I sold where more niche and then it could be quick and large profits. If you have a niche product, eBay is the best place to start developing your business. After you start getting a customer base and some regular profits, then branch out to a store, Amazon, or other auction sites.

Here are some of the books I found about this subject for further reading if you are interested. In fact I think I may need to purchase one of these this time around.
You can't beat a good euphonious

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

3 comments:

ardian said...

Hi,
I'm ArdianYS work as prestashop freelancer, actually I want to translate open cart USPS module to Prestashop module, but I dont have any USPS / UPS account so I cant connect to their API. Therefore, would you like to share your USPS account so I can continue my work on it ? thanks. please reply to ardianys at gmail.com

Tomer said...

I am an English Moderator on the Prestashop forum, and I see many requests for modules, which got me started on my shop.

I have many useful modules for Prestashop, like an affordable Authorize.net module, filter module, a translation module (which I used to translate my site to 15 other languages), an attribute wizard module that lets you customized your attributes similar to apple’s website, and many more.

My modules store is http://www.presto-changeo.com/

I have seen some UPS and USPS modules that are free, while I have not tested them, some people on the forum have said that they work, but could be missing some small features.

I may end up writing my own modules (if you check out my modules you'll see I provide only top class work).

Cindi said...

I tried the UPS module available and it was really difficult to figure out and I couldn't get it to work correctly. The creator had stopped working on it awhile ago and the forums were filled with comments about it not working so I gave up.